The best jalapeno poppers ever, from Inn At The Crossroads.
Take a quick look at that recipe, then come back. It's okay, I'll wait.
First thing I noticed: It doesn't say what to *do* with the cayenne and the cumin, so I figured I couldn't really go wrong with splitting it between the cheese and the egg. As it turns out: Cayenne is not egg-soluble, and just kind of clumped up. So! The recipe, cleaned up a little, is:
1 250g package cream cheese, softened
250g shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 onion, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
15 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tablespoon milk
2-3 cups crushed corn flake cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, spices, and onion. Stuff jalapeno halves with the mixture.
3. Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl. Place crushed corn flake cereal in a separate small bowl.
4. Dip each stuffed jalapeno half into the egg and milk mixture, then roll in corn flake cereal to coat.
5. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and lightly browned.
And here's what you get:
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.
Notably, I didn't crush the cornflakes enough. They should have been even smaller chunks than you see here.